Diamondbacks vs. Cubs – Series Preview (Aug 11-13): Pitching Matchups, Insights, TV/Game Info
After a tough series loss to the Dodgers at home, the Diamondbacks open up a three-game series over the resurgent and now not-so-resurgent Chicago Cubs. The Cubs opened up the second half going 14-3 but have lost six of their last eight games, including two out of three against the Giants in San Francisco earlier this week.
For the D-backs, they have been bumping along since the All-Star break, unable to find a winning groove. They’re 11-14 since the break and that includes a 4-5 record in the month of August. Of course, two of those fives wins were against this Cubs team in Chicago, so there’s hope here that perhaps the D-backs can rack up two or three wins in this series.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, August 11 at 6:40 MT on FS-AZ, 98.7 FM
- Saturday, August 12 at 5:10 MT on FS-AZ, MLB Network (out of market), 98.7 FM
- Sunday, August 13 at 1:10 MT on FS-AZ, 98.7 FM
What To Watch For
- The Cubs bullpen has been struggling in the second half of the season. They rank 21st in the league in the second half with a 4.36 ERA, and their FIP of 4.48 indicates things could have been worse. On the other end of the spectrum, their starting pitchers rank second in the league since the break with a 3.11 ERA. If the D-backs can force the Cubs starters into early high pitch-count innings, they may be rewarded by getting to that bullpen early in the game.
- Patrick Corbin has been the worst starting pitcher for the Diamondbacks all season. His 4.76 ERA is by far the worst on the rotation, not to mention he got absolutely shelled by the Cubs in Chicago earlier this month, giving up eight runs on 10 hits in three innings. With Anthony Banda pitching so well, I have to wonder if Saturday’s start for Corbin will be his last before he gets sent down to Triple-A. There’s been no word that this will happen yet, but I have a feeling it may if Corbin has another rough outing.